The Brinkworth Residence is a Municipal Heritage Property located on one residential lot at 1108 Erin Avenue in the Village of Lipton. The property features a 2½-storey, buff brick veneer house, constructed in 1907.
The heritage value of the Brinkworth Residence resides in its association with Frank Brinkworth, one of the earliest settlers in the Lipton area. Frank Brinkworth was born in Gloucestershire, England in 1872 and immigrated to Canada in the spring of 1891. He married Bertha Dobson in 1900 and moved to Lipton in the fall of 1904. Frank initially operated a livery service in Lipton and then became the local dealer for General Motors as well as one of the first dealers in the community of Cockshutt (later White) Farm Equipment. The Brinkworths also farmed one and a half sections of land. In addition to his business activities, Frank was very active in the Lipton community. He served on the first church board which resulted in the building of the Union (later United) Church in 1905. He also served on the Lipton School Board, the Town Council, and the Board of Trade. Frank and Bertha Brinkworth passed away in Victoria, British Columbia in 1961.
Heritage value also resides in the house’s prominence within the community. The Brinkworth Residence is one of the few buildings in Lipton with a brick exterior, and occupies a prominent corner lot. It is noticeable for the dining room bay window, pedimented roofline, and columned porch. For many years, this elegant home was the focal point in the community and Bertha Brinkworth held many social gatherings here.
Village of Lipton Bylaw No. 1, 1995.
The heritage value of the Brinkworth Residence lies in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the property’s prominence in the community, such as its form and massing, buff brick exterior, bay window, pedimented roofline, and columned porch;
-those elements that speak to the building’s association with Frank Brinkworth, including its situation on a prominent corner lot and the building’s location on its original site.
The Hayward School is a Municipal Heritage Property which occupies a 0.944 hectare parcel of land in the Rural Municipality of Lipton. The property features a one-room school building, teacherage and barn, which were constructed between 1904 and 1952.
The heritage value of the Hayward School lies in its status as the only known grouping of a one room school, teacherage and barn remaining on the Canadian prairies. In the decade prior to the First World War, several thousand one-room school buildings were constructed across western Canada. The rural location of most of these schools necessitated the construction of barns to house the students' horses and a teacherage to serve as residence for the teaching staff. By the 1950's, the consolidation of school districts, improved roads and increased bussing of students resulted in the closure of virtually all one-room schools. Almost all of these schools and their associated buildings were torn down or removed from their original locations, but the Hayward School complex was retained as a community landmark.
The heritage value of the Hayward School also resides in its status as one of the oldest wood-frame school buildings in Saskatchewan. Constructed in 1904, the teacherage building served as the first schoolhouse in the area. One-storey and faced with white clapboard siding, the building was typical of the small rural one-room schools constructed during the period. In 1952, this building was converted into a two bedroom teacherage upon the construction of a larger one-room school house.
The heritage value of Hayward School also lies in the status of the barn as one of the last remaining school barn structures in Saskatchewan. The sloped-roof red barn, constructed prior to 1930, featured six stalls in the main section, and large holding pens in the two wings. One of these wings was converted into a garage in 1952 for the resident teacher's automobile.
The heritage value of Hayward School can also be found in the architecture of the 1952 school building. A good representation of the new methods of school design introduced in the 1950's, the building features north/south orientation, east-facing windows, large classroom space, stucco siding and a full basement for staging events. Since being closed as a school in 1959, the building has served as short-term residence for local farm workers and as storage facilities for farming operations. Today, the property is a recognized landmark in the region and a gathering place for community events.
The heritage value of the Hayward School resides in the following character-defining elements:
-the spatial relationship of the school, barn and teacher age on their original site;
-those elements of the teacherage which reflect the use of the building as a residence, including room partitions and fixtures;
-those elements of the teacherage which reflect the 1904 schoolhouse, including wood frame construction, clapboard siding, white exterior paint, dual indoor toilets and lunch pail storage area;
-those elements of the 1952 school building which reflect the use of the building as a school, including stucco siding, spatial organization of the rooms, blackboards and the bank of windows on the east side of the building;
-those elements which speak to the form and appearance of the barn, including the sloped roof, two wings flanking the central section with stalls and the red exterior colour of the barn;
-those elements of the barn which reflect the use of the building for holding animals and automobiles, including stalls and tethering rings.
The Tomecko House is a Municipal Heritage Property located in the Rural Municipality of Lipton No. 217, approximately five kilometres east and four kilometres south of the Village of Lipton. The property, situated on 65 hectares of wooded land, features a 2½-storey, red brick building constructed in between 1917 and 1918.
The heritage value of the Tomecko House resides in its association with Stefan Tomecko, one of the earliest settlers in the Lipton area. He was born in 1861 in Czechoslovakia and with his wife, Maria, immigrated to Pennsylvania in 1885. After working for several years as a carpenter-foreman in the coal mines, Stefan and his family moved to Lakefield, Minnesota in about 1897 and farmed there for seven years. The Tomeckos and several other families from Lakefield arrived in Lipton in September, 1905. The Tomeckos acquired a homestead southeast of Lipton and were able to build a small house and barn before winter. The Tomeckos were prominent diversified farmers in the Lipton area. In addition to grain farming, they raised horses, cattle, pigs, sheep and turkeys and produced milk and cream products, which they sold as far away as Regina. Stefan also participated in the community as a delegate of several farm groups. Maria Tomecko died in 1932 and Stefan passed away on the farm in 1953.
The heritage value of the Tomecko House also resides in the building’s status as a landmark and focal point in the community. By about 1914, a concrete foundation for a large house had been built northeast of the original house. Construction on the house began in late summer 1917 and the house was completed in early winter 1918. This large and impressive, fourteen-room, red brick house had all the modern conveniences, such as electricity and full bathroom with hot water. It also featured a panelled dining room and fireplace. For many years the Tomecko family hosted neighbourhood dances each fall after harvest.
The heritage value of Tomecko House lies in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that speak to the property’s association with the Tomecko family, including the building’s location on its original site;
-those elements that speak to the property’s landmark status, such as its form, massing and prominent red brick exterior.
Lipton Jewish Cemetery is a Municipal Heritage Property located within the Rural Municipality of Lipton No. 217 approximately eight kilometers northeast of the Town of Lipton. The property features a Jewish cemetery started in 1902 that contains about sixty graves.
The heritage value of the Lipton Jewish Cemetery lies in its commemoration of the Jewish families that settled in the area. In 1900, more than one hundred Jewish families from Romania and southern Russia left their homes to settle in Canada and established a farming community near Lipton. Despite the success of the community, the families all moved elsewhere over the last 100 years, leaving the cemetery as the last reminder of their settlement.
The heritage value of the property also lies in the design of the cemetery markers. Some of the graves feature small gravehouses built over the grave. These gravehouses are rare for Saskatchewan Jewish cemeteries and reflect an Eastern European traditional influence.
The heritage value of the Lipton Jewish Cemetery resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the property’s use as a Jewish cemetery, such as the grave markers, Hebrew writing on the grave stones and the east-west orientation of the burial plots;
-those elements that reflect the Eastern European decent of the Jewish population, including the small gravehouses built over the grave sites.
For More History Check out ...
Lipton Memorial Gardens
Application for a burial license shall be made at the Village Office for any burial or any interment of cremated remains in the Lipton Memorial Gardens. The scattering of ashes is not allowed in Lipton Memorial Gardens. No plants and any type of construction or the use of any chemicals are not allowed at the cemetery. Grave covers are not allowed. Contact the Village Office for the correct location of the graves and the placement of the names on the headstone; before ordering headstones. Memorial salespersons must have the Village mark the correct location before placing any monuments in the cemetery. All flowers and wreathes must be placed only on the cement beams, on which the headstones rest. Many monument companies now have headstones that have a flower vase attached to the base
Please select the link below to view Cemetery
Find a grave